No Summer Holiday for Fuel Poverty!Date published: 4th July 2018
Unlike Santa Claus, fuel poverty does not take a summer holiday. It doesn’t only appear in December or when “The Beast From the East” gains momentum. In these gloriously sunny days, it can be easy to overlook those who struggle to pay for their fuel supply and many still have to choose between heating water for bathing, or eating.
Fife has seen some fantastic weather of late with temperatures breaking record highs. Despite this, people are still paying too much for their utilities due to inefficient heating and hot water systems, poor energy saving knowledge or inefficient appliances.
As the temperature increases people have different energy demands:
- Hot water to bathe/shower more in order to keep cool
- Increased washing machine usage due to more changes of clothes
- Inefficient fans/cooling systems
- Homes occupied more during the day due to school holidays
- Lawnmowers, garden tools, power washers
- Heating pumps for outdoor pools/hot tubs
- Garden lights and water features that are not solar powered
Now is the ideal time to follow our simple tips to make sure you are ready for winter.
- Arrange for an energy saving visit from Cosy Kingdom
- Have a benefit check completed by CARF’s Cosy Kingdom adviser
- Check, switch and save on your energy supplier or tariff
- Arrange for any repairs to the property to be completed
- Ensure your heating system has an annual service
- Use an energy monitor to see which appliances have a high energy usage- the warmer weather will give different results from winter time
- If you are entitled to the warm home discount- set a reminder to make an application when the scheme opens. Most suppliers open the scheme around September
- Follow Cosy Kingdom on Facebook and Twitter in order to learn some money saving tips
If you are worried about your ability to pay for your fuel supply, get in touch for free, impartial advice.