Useful information to help us advise you

We want to give you the right advice and information as soon as possible. To help us do this, it’s useful to have information about your problem to hand when you contact us for help. What we’ll need to see or know depends on the issue: here are some examples of the kinds of things we may ask you for to get on the case on your behalf.*

Debt and money problems

  • Details of your income
  • Proof of income: page slips/benefit/tax credit details
  • Details of all those that you owe money to (creditors)
  • Copies of original credit agreements
  • Copies of any Court papers
  • Details of household expenditure/bills (food, utilities, etc)
  • Copies of any correspondence you have received

Housing problems

  • If you rent your home: tenancy agreement/letters from your landlord
  • If you own your home: mortgage details and title deeds
  • Proof of income: pay slips/benefit/tax credit details

Work problems

  • Employment contract
  • Details of any disciplinary/grievance/dismissal issues
  • Any recent letters from employers
  • Staff handbook
  • Copies of employment tribunal applications (if relevant)
  • Proof of income: pay slips/benefit/tax credit details

Consumer problems

  • Full details of the goods or services causing the problem
  • Copies of any contracts or credit agreements
  • Any recent letters in connection with the problem
  • Proof of purchase
  • Proof of income: pay slips/benefit/tax credit details

Immigration problems

  • All letters from Home Office
  • Passport (if applicable), details of any visas or permits
  • Proof of income/National Asylum Support Service support : pay slips/benefit/tax credit details

Family and personal issues

  • Any paperwork/letters relating to the issue
  • Copies of original agreements
  • Proof of income: pay slips/benefit/tax credit details

Welfare benefits issues

  • Decision letters that you are not happy with or wish to challenge – this is essential
  • All letters from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Bank Statement (latest copy)
  • Details of any savings
  • Tenancy Agreement/Mortgage details
  • Proof of income: pay slips/benefit/tax credit details

Welfare benefits check

If you would like us to check that you are receiving the benefits and tax credits to which you are entitled, please bring the following information for everyone living in your home.

  • Dates of birth
  • Employment status (employed or self employed)
  • Number of hours worked
  • Gross income from employment for last tax year – April 6 to April5 (A P60 form will provide this or if self employed, last year’s accounts)
  • Gross income for this year. Payslip is preferred. Estimate if self employed
  • If you are receiving benefits at present, please bring all the benefit award letters
  • Child care costs. Please bring something to show that the carer is fully approved along with how much you pay them.
  • Investment income. Details of investments and latest interest payments. Bank statements may be the best way to show this.
  • Rental agreement or current mortgage repayment
  • Council tax bill

Other problems

  • Any paperwork/letters/correspondence relating to the issue

*(Adapted with thanks from list created by Dundee Citizens Advice Bureau)