I is for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Date published: 13th November 2020

ndustrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

Industrial injuries disablement benefit is paid if you are disabled as a result of an accident at work or a disease caused by your job (not if the job is self-employment).

It is not means tested but is classed as income when calculating entitlement to other means tested benefits. It does not matter how much savings, capital or other income you have.

You do not have to have paid national insurance contributions to qualify for it and you can get it even if you carry on working or go back to work

You may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if:

• you were employed when the accident or event happened
• you were on an approved employment training scheme or course when the accident or event happened
• the work accident or event that caused your illness or disability happened in England, Scotland or Wales

If you have been injured at work and you want to claim compensation from your employer, you should seek legal advice.

The level of your disability will affect the amount of benefit you may get. This will be assessed by a ‘medical advisor’ on a scale of 1 to 100%. Normally you must be assessed as 14% disabled or more to get the benefit. The rate of the benefit varies, £36.40 - £182 per week depending on the level of disablement.


You can claim IIDB if you were employed in a job or were on an approved employment training scheme or course that caused your disease. The scheme covers more than 70 diseases, including, but not limited to:

• asthma
• chronic bronchitis or emphysema - also known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
• deafness
• pneumoconiosis (including silicosis and asbestosis) and other asbestos related diseases
• Osteoarthritis of the knee in coal miners and others

View a full list of prescribed diseases.

How to claim

You can use this claim form or you can ask for the form to be sent to you by phoning 0800 121 8379.

Claims for IIDB can be complicated so you may want to seek advice before making a claim.


Back to news